Wednesday, August 19, 2020

I Can't Say It Better


My title is a confession that there are times when scripture needs direct absorption without the filter or interpretation of a writer or speaker or “official” biblical scholar, let alone a blogger like me. I don’t think readers of this blog will believe I’m shirking my duties if I share directly with you a psalm that has grabbed my attention and contemplation this week as I, like you, cope with the challenges of a pandemic and a charged political atmosphere.

Those who know me directly or through my work will not need me to point out how and to whom I believe the following verses may apply. You know my mind and my heart and my passion and compassion well enough without need of explicit comparisons to current events and public figures. And both those who don’t know me and those who do have their own counsel at hand to find the following verses comforting and encouraging and applicable to our current situation.

Carl Jung’s synchronicity or the Holy Spirit or both would have it that when I turned to my NRSV last week for solace, I found stuck in its pages a slip from a notepad from St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital whose very name welcomes the blessings of both faith and science. Saint Jude is the patron saint of hopeless causes and is often depicted with a flame around his head, reflecting his presence at Pentecost to receive the Holy Spirit.

As I write this, I glance at Ganesha sitting on the bookshelf beside my desk. Ganesha is the Hindu god of arts and sciences and fresh beginnings, one who removes obstacles (one of the reasons I keep it close to my computer!) and so strikes me as a complement to Saint Jude’s desire to help the hopeless.  

On the side of the slip of paper that bears the logo and name of St. Jude Hospital, I long ago wrote down the lectionary readings for a particular Sunday, but on the back I wrote Psalm 37:1-11, 39-40. So last week I turned to Psalm 37 and ruminated on it during my morning prayers on the days since. I encourage you to read the entire psalm, but here are some of its verses with few and minor inclusive language changes. If the title “Lord” troubles you, feel free to substitute another metaphor, such as “Holy One.”

Do not fret because of the wicked;
  do not be envious of wrongdoers,
for they will soon fade like the grass,
  and wither like the green herb.

Trust in the Lord, and do good;
  so you will live in the land, and enjoy security.
Take delight in the Lord,
  and you will be given the desires of your hearts.

Commit your way to the Lord;
  trust in God, and God will act.
Yahweh will make your vindication shine like the light,
  and the justice of your cause like the noonday.

Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for God;
   do not fret over those who prosper in their way,
   over those who carry out evil devices.

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath.
  Do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For the wicked shall be cut off,
  but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.

The wicked plot against the righteous,
  and gnash their teeth at them;
but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
  knowing that their day is coming.

The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows
  to bring down the poor and needy,
  to kill those who walk uprightly;
their sword shall enter their own heart,
  and their bows shall be broken.

Better is a little that the righteous person has
  than the abundance of many wicked.
The wicked borrow, and do not pay back,
  but the righteous are generous and keep giving.

Though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong,
  for the Lord holds us by the hand.
For the Lord loves justice
  and will not forsake God’s faithful ones.

The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord,
  who is their refuge in time of trouble.


I will be leading a virtual, at-home retreat open to the public for Columbia Seminary’s Spiritual Formation Program September 17-19, 2020 entitled An Open Receptive Place: Henri Nouwen’s Spirituality. You are invited!

Donations to this blog ministry may be given securely by clicking here and scrolling down to the donate link below its description or by mailing to MCC, P.O. Box 50488, Sarasota FL 34232 USA, designating “Progressive Christian Reflections” in the memo area of your check or money order. Thank you!

Copyright © 2020 by Chris R. Glaser. Permission granted for non-profit use with attribution of author and blogsite. Other rights reserved. Scripture copyright © 2010 by Oxford University Press, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Cris, for this timely reminder of Psalm 37. As the fires rage around us here in CA in addition to the pandemic and its many affects on our brothers and sisters in different walks of life, this is a balm for the soul.

    ReplyDelete