Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Three Prayers for Lent


O God,
I lack a certain courage :
to risk abandoning all my closets
to fulfill life’s dreams,
giving up securities, pretensions,
presumptions, indulgences,
fears—especially fears—
to be all you claim I am,
to be all you call me to be,
to be all you hope for me.

I dawdle at the starting line,
telling myself I’ll begin tomorrow.
Or, part way through the race,
I decide, I deserve a break today,
and find it difficult to limit that break
to time enough to rest and restore myself
to run again.

Dear God,
Jesus fought the good fight,
finished his race,
and kept faith with his dreams
of your commonwealth.

Why do you give me this model, God?
It’s like comparing my body to Olympic athletes,
or my ministry to Mother Teresa’s,
or my sacrifice to martyred saints in Central America!

I can’t give it all, can I, Lord?
I can’t sacrifice all for the commonwealth of God, can I?

“Seek first God’s kingdom…,
and all these things shall be yours as well.”

Jesus, is this true?
Did you have all you needed
as you gave everything to finish the race?


It’s so easy to say prayers, God,
so difficult to translate ours words to actions.
Your Word became flesh and dwelt among us.
We nailed him,
we suffocated him,
we buried him,
in part because we were so damned jealous
that he did something we couldn’t :
he lived out his prayer life.
When he prayed “Thy kingdom come”
he meant it,
he preached it,
he lived as its citizen
and became its King.
We mocked him
by making his throne a cross
because we thought he mocked us,
making it seem so easy to be your children, God.
Though tempted as we are,
he, in prayer and fasting,
waited on your word,
refused to tempt your love,
and worshiped only you.

O God,
forgive me for not waiting,
forgive me for tempting you,
forgive my worship of idols.
Teach me to listen for your word,
trust in your love,
and worship in spirit and in truth.
Remind me that Jesus is not an only child,
nor your kingdom’s only citizen.
May I live up to my inheritance as your child
and as a citizen of your commonwealth,
through Jesus Christ, who leads my way.
Amen.

Dear Jesus,
sometimes we expect too much sanctuary
within the church.
We want a womb,
a warm, retreat experience,
not harsh reality
of needy people
and petty politics,
ecclesiastical or societal,
which may lead to a tomb
as it did for you.

But the kingdom of heaven lay beyond
your forty-day prayer retreat in the wilderness, Jesus.
The commonwealth of God lay within
your interactions with the world that followed.

The commonwealth you preached, Jesus,
is in our midst
as healing occurs among us.
And healing comes
as you, the Christ, are in the world,
not in retreat,
nor entombed
either by calcified doctrines
or grave doubt.

You taught that for us to pray,
for us to find healing for ourselves,
is not enough.
“Faith without works is dead.”
Faith without work is death.
Dear Jesus,
Keep me from resting in peace,
a self-satisfied smile on my face,
while others hunger for my touch
as a member of your Body,
the Body of Christ,
healer of this world.
Amen.

These are prayers Day 20, Day 41, and Day 46 from my book Coming Out to God: Prayers for Lesbians and Gay Men, Their Families and Friends, published by Westminster/John Knox Press in 1991. Each prayer was broken into phrases not out of poetic pretensions but to slow the reader. I often refer to God’s “kingdom” as a “commonwealth” in which everything is shared, including our common spiritual wealth. The only change I’ve made is substituting “Olympic athletes” in the first prayer for the name of a well-known body builder of the time, and this, contrasted with the reference to Mother Teresa, demonstrates the longevity of compassion over other accomplishments. The second prayer’s mention of suffocation refers to how victims of crucifixion die: their bodies eventually sag from exhaustion and cut off the flow of air to the lungs. The final lines of the second prayer’s first section refer to Jesus’ three temptations in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11). The photo is a shadow on our deck I noticed days ago during my morning prayers.

As with all of my writings, you are welcome to use these for non-profit purposes with attribution of author and context.

Progressive Christian Reflections is entirely supported by reader donations. To support this blog: http://mccchurch.org/ministries/progressive-christian-reflections/
Scroll down to the donate link below its description. Thank you!

Copyright © 1991 and 2019 by Chris R. Glaser. Permission granted for non-profit use with attribution of author and blogsite. Other rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment