Wednesday, December 6, 2017

You Made My Life!

The tree outside my window.

If the autumn breeze outside my window continues, most of the golden and yellow leaves will fall from our tree in the backyard by the end of the morning I write this. I kind of know how it feels, as my red hair thins and greys.

I had quite another post planned and halfway written for today, but I received such an overwhelming response to my Facebook post about “officially” retiring last Thursday that I feel compelled to write of it. I wrote: 
I officially retired today as an MCC clergyperson, though I will continue writing my blog, “Progressive Christian Reflections.” I would be open to leaving retirement if I had another opportunity to serve in ministry. Thanks be to God for Metropolitan Community Churches’ belief in my ministry when my home denomination of the Presbyterian Church USA lacked faith. Still love Presbyterians, but I am grateful for MCC’s welcome. God is good. 
To be honest, nothing much will change. I’m just letting go of the “formal” side of ministry, the forms to be completed each year and the continuing education requirement and the annual clergy renewal fee. I am told I can still write my blog under MCC auspices, preach and celebrate sacraments, lead weddings and funerals, visit hospitals and prisons, and keep the “Rev” which is important to me, having spent most of my life without it. (My brother once commented that I seemed as busy in retirement as when I was gainfully employed!)

Having seen my name in print multiple times, the late writer and editor James Solheim once kidded me, “Has ‘M.Div.’ become part of your name now?” I explained I used it as my only credential, since I was not a “Rev.” And now I still use it because so many clergy use “Rev” who have no seminary degree. I also often identify myself as a graduate of Yale Divinity School simply to let people know I am a progressive Christian!

I joked with Wade last Thursday about our evening meal being my “retirement dinner,” and though there will be no such formality, I am grateful for my “legacy tour,” given opportunities to reflect on the meaning of my life and the LGBT Christian movement, including That All May Freely Serve’s “Rock Stars and Prophets” at Stony Point, New York; Kirkridge Retreat and Study Center’s “Celebration of LGBTQ Lives” in Pennsylvania; and the ecumenical “Rolling the Stone Away” gathering in St. Louis. These were reunions of saints I am grateful to know and to join in celebrating the progress we’ve made in our churches and our culture.

Yet I confess ambivalence about my diminishing role. I write this not to gain your sympathy, but rather to say I understand you who have experienced, are experiencing, and will experience something similar. I have taken comfort in the anonymous “Prayer of an Aging Jesuit” in a book edited by Michael Harter, SJ: Hearts on Fire: Praying with Jesuits. It reads in part: 
Help me to see that my community does me no wrong
when gradually it takes from me my duties;
when it no longer seems to seek my views.

Rid me of my pride in all the “wisdom” I have learned.
Rid me of the illusion that I am indispensable.  …

And please, Lord, let me still be useful,
contributing to the world my optimism,
adding my prayers to the joyful fervor and courage
of those who now take their turn at the helm. …

Let my leaving the field of action be simple and natural—
Like a glowing, cheerful sunset.

Lord, forgive me if only now in my tranquility
I begin to know how much you love me,
how much you’ve helped me.  …   
Many of you who have written or said kind words to me, either about my books or my blog or my ministry, have received the response, “You made my day!” I’ve written elsewhere that it’s a shame we often save our “eulogies” or “good words” to honor those who have passed. Wouldn’t it be better if we shared them now? I have been the beneficiary, like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, of, in a sense, attending my own memorial when I receive such words.

In the final conversation of “Rolling the Stone Away,” titled “Into the Third Millennium,” More Light Presbyterian executive director Alex McNeill told of shelving books in his home church library when he “stumbled upon Chris Glaser’s book. So I stole it and never returned it—sorry, future generations!  I read Uncommon Calling all the way through, took notes and wrote in my diary about it. It gave me a sense of possibilities, of not being alone.”

I was stunned, my eyes welling with tears. Alex then met lesbian evangelist Rev. Janie Spahr on one of her (what I call) “missionary journeys.” The effect of these encounters was transforming for Alex.

The effect of Alex’s words was transforming for me too. He not only “made my day,” he, in a sense, “made my life.”


Thank you for any donation to this blog ministry
Be sure to scroll down to the donate link below its description.

Or mail to MCC, P.O. Box 50488, Sarasota FL 34232 USA, designating “Progressive Christian Reflections” in the memo area of your check or money order. Thank you!

Copyright © 2017 by Chris R. Glaser. Permission granted for non-profit use with attribution of author and blogsite. Other rights reserved.  

3 comments:

  1. Janie Spahr shared this comment: You have been for so many of us the beacon of light. The whole Spahr family has and continues to be touched by your magnificent loving ministry from 1977 when Bear Ride invited you to First Presbyterian San Rafael. Your great support for me and my family when I came out. Your preaching, teaching and writing continues to inspire us. Thank you for who you are and who you are in this liberating movement. Never will I forget you, Sandy Brawders and Bill Silver at the 1978 Assembly so loving and so clear and years of Assemblies following where we testified over and over again our truth. Yes,Your writing, your preaching, your prophetic witness, your counsel and your pastoral gift has been such a life giving gift to thousands of us along this journey of learning to live out loud!! Thank you from the whole Spahr family for being integral to our coming out journey and being with us all these years in your writing, speaking and presence whenever our paths have crossed throughout the years. Blessings,love and joy to you and to you and Wade. Keep writing, preaching and retreating and enjoy some moments of rest and relaxation. With deepest respect and gratitude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy Wareham shared this comment: You were an important influence on me while we were students at CSUN. For one, the day I was desperate to find a 3-unit class to fill out schedule already crammed with math and science courses, plus labs, you were in the Religious Studies room at registration with Dr. Shofner, convincing me to sign up for his "Religion and Existentialism" course, which began my shift from physics to religious studies and, eventually, ordained ministry.

    That was personally momentous for me, and just as important was the day you sat down with me over coffee to explain that you were coming out and wanting me to hear you and understand. I don't recall what I said, or even thought, at the time, but the experience has stood in my memory as among the most dignified, respectful and loving moments of outreach on any matter from anyone.

    Only years later would my dad have the courage to come out to me, as well, and I though there's no calculating the impact of one conversation over so many years, I can only believe that your effect on me made my father's revelation both mutually caring and personally comfortable. God bless you, Chris, and thank you from the depths of my heart for your ministry and for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For more Facebook reactions and comments, go to:
    https://www.facebook.com/chris.glaser.54/posts/10212546756001097?comment_id=10212603159571151&notif_id=1512699602142709&notif_t=comment_mention

    ReplyDelete