Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Children of Stonewall--and the Kingdom!

Our group at Creative Camp.

This past Sunday I stumbled offering the Moment for Mindfulness at Ormewood Church about the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising. I had originally planned to do it from notes, but decided to write it out so I would say precisely what I intended briefly. But I momentarily lost my place, I guess because I rarely do public speaking these days.

But I did get in my thought that the several-day-and-night 1969 resistance of drag queens, people of color and LGBT folk to the harassing bar raids of New York City police officers served as a “foundational myth” of our present-day movement. As such, it’s been useful for political and, I’d say, spiritual organizing and mobilization.

Yet our contemporary movement did not begin there. In the U.S., it began long before when Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin founded the Daughters of Bilitis in 1955, a lesbian activist group. It began in 1964 with the foundation of the Council on Religion and the Homosexual in San Francisco. It began nine months before Stonewall when the Rev. Troy Perry and 12 brave souls founded Metropolitan Community Church in 1968. It began with the work of people like Bayard Rustin, Christine Jorgensen, Barbara Gittings, Frank Kameny, and many more, as well as multiple social, political, and religious groups building an activist base. This is true in other nations as well.

All resistance movements, however, can trace their roots to ancient times, to yes, even biblical times. Our pastor, Jenelle Holmes, gave an artful sermon on Rizpah’s resistance, protecting the bodies of her dead sons (2 Samuel 3:7; 21:1-14), drawing parallels to Matthew Shepard’s mother, Judy Shepard, creating a foundation that helped pass hate crimes legislation, Emmett Till’s mother, Mamie Till, insisting on an open coffin so the world could see his battered body, lynched after he was falsely accused of flirting with a white woman, and last week’s photograph of a drowned Salvadoran migrant, Oscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his 23-month-old daughter, Angie Valeria, on the shores of the Rio Grande River.


I can’t recall Jenelle “losing it” in a sermon, but tears came as she approached its final page. And she wasn’t the only one. She turned it into an occasion for lament, and instead of our usual small group discussions, provided three holy spaces for our responses: one with candles to light for lives lost to injustice, another with prayers for justice we could read silently to God, and one for writing cards to legislators expressing our grief for lives lost in our country due to injustice. Many visited more than one of the three stations.

A few weeks ago, we held a “Creative Camp,” Ormewood Church’s version of Vacation Bible School, for our own and our neighbors’ children. I helped with the 2-4-year-olds, all boys, and I saw where notions of “Original Sin” as well as “Original Innocence” came from! Yet I was moved by their willingness to buy into the program, so to speak, though our most prolonged conversation was about farts, ha!

The experience no doubt prepared me to be moved, at the end of the service honoring the ripples of Rizpah’s resistance, when Jenelle’s nine-year old daughter, Darcy, presented me with the artwork to the right, depicting my partner and me. I learned later she had done the same for a lesbian couple in the congregation, Ceej and Cathie. I lost it. Tears of grief, of gratitude, of hope.


 She represents for me the children of Stonewall and more broadly, the children of the Kingdom of God.

Progressive Christian Reflections is entirely supported by reader donations. To support this blog: https://mccchurch.org/ministries/progressive-christian-reflections/   Scroll down to the donate link below its description. Thank you!

Copyright © 2019 by Chris R. Glaser. Permission granted for non-profit use with attribution of author and blogsite. Other rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. The progression of our people-of-faith commonwealth builds on the work of those who have gone before us as well as the evolution and discovery of new things. Big events like Stonewall loom large in our collective memories but you are right to point out that even Stonewall was built on many other initiatives. While reading this, I was reminded of the many post-Stonewall events which have continued to help build our commonwealth, like your "person-ing the issue" while serving on the UPCUSA Task Force to Study Homosexuality (1976-1978) and being the first director of the Lazarus Project at West Hollywood Presbyterian Church in 1977. Where would we be without your (and so many others) work building our commonwealth? We can see the fruits of this work in Darcy and her wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barry, for this comment! Forgive my delay in publishing it--I've been doing errands all day and just now have returned to my computer! I would add, where would we be if it weren't for your leadership, support, and encouragement? I'm grateful for your activism and for your friendship over the decades! Much love to you, Chris

      Delete
  2. Darcy also did a Bev and Deb one for us. I was so touched. By the way, don't forget the August, 1966 Compton Cafeteria riots when San Francisco police were hassling transgender people in Gene Compton's Cafeteria in the Tenderloin. Deb lit a candle for our friend TerriAnne who was murdered in Jacksonville and I lit one for Robert Eads. Robert didn't die from violence but he did die from injustice. As a trans man, when he was diagnosed with cervical cancer, over 20 doctors refused to treat him. By the time a doctor was found to treat Robert, it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had known, I would have included a photo of her rendering of you both! I know about the Compton Cafeteria riots, thanks to something I read about them recently. Didn't think of them preceding Stonewall when I wrote this post. Thank you for adding this. I thank God for all transpeople, as they paved the way for all of us resisting gender expectations.

      Delete